- Home >
- About COGEN Europe
COGEN Europe is the European association for the promotion of cogeneration. Its principal goal is to work towards the wider use of cogeneration in Europe for a sustainable energy future. Cogeneration or Combined Heat and Power (CHP) is the most efficient way to deliver heating, cooling and electricity. It is based on the simultaneous production of electricity and thermal energy, both of which are used. The central and most fundamental principle of cogeneration is that, in order to maximise the many benefits that arise from it, systems should be based on the heat demand of the application.
COGEN Europe promotes the widespread development of cogeneration in Europe and worldwide. To achieve this goal, COGEN Europe works at the EU level and with member states to develop sustainable energy policies and remove unnecessary barriers to implementation.
COGEN Europe is involved in a wide range of functions such as:
- Representing the interests of COGEN Europe members and of the cogeneration sector on the whole vis-à-vis the EU Institutions and other important organisations and institutions.
- Organising the COGEN Europe Annual Conference, Europe’s largest cogeneration event in the annual calendar.
- Participation in European projects.
- Coordination of internal expert Working Groups.
- Production of COGEN Europe publications.
The COGEN Europe network covers the whole of the European Union, Central and Eastern Europe, and also includes Japan, Australia and the United States.
COGEN Europe’s status is that of a Belgian non-for-profit organisation (vzw).